Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Whats wrong with Meb?

As everyone already knows, Meb won the New York City Marathon in 2:09:15, being the first American man to win since 1982. However, it looks like the media won't let him off the hook. Take a look at this yahoo article. How dumb. I just cant fathom anyone writing that. I mean, I dont know what to call that. Racism? maybe, but its definitely prejudice. I just don't know how anybody can say that, can call someone not an American simply because they emigrated here. Hey, guess what Darren, somewhere along the line, your grandparents immigrated to this great country as well, therefore, based on your own arguments, you are not fully American either, no one is. I dont want to rip on this guy too much, mostly because he's not worth ripping on, but also because he posted an apology the next day. But I really don't know why he thinks this is such a big issue now. I mean, if he wants pure American distance running, he'll have to go back to the late '70's/ early'80's with Dick Beardsley and Bill Rodgers. This quote rubs me the wrong way the most, however:
Nothing against Keflezighi, but he’s like a ringer who you hire to work a couple hours at your office so that you can win the executive softball league.
Are we really saying stuff like that on such a public forum? I mean that's downright terrible journalism to call someone out like that, I don't understand how we can let that disrespect go in our culture. brickrunnin06 made a great point on the Dyestat Talk forums. He said "Nobody has a problem with Big Papi hitting homers, or Patrick Ewing slamming the ball in, or Wayne Gretzky lighting up the ice or Osi Umenyiora making the big sack. Give Meb the credit he deserves."

I can't get my head around such ignorance and bigotry. I don't care what that guy says, I'm happy to call Meb my countrymen.

On the same note, kind of, did anyone see the article on Hassan Mead in this month's Running Times? really inspiring stuff.

So, what about my running? Well, nothing doing here. I have only run one day, on Monday, and it was a disaster, just really hurt. I self diagnosed myself having Morton's Neuroma, so I've just been taking it easy, not running, doing core, and icing, a lot. I'm going to try to jog four miles or so and see how it goes. I'll just keep the mileage low this week, and get back into it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment