Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Turning 21- kind of

So for all of you following the Minnesota political scene, our government has shut down as we can't close a 5 billion dollar deficit in our state budget. If you're not paying attention, I don't blame you. I'm a political science major, and bipartisan politics is driving me crazy. This means that all our politicians get unemployment checks. Yep. They still get paid even though they won't talk to eachother. Without getting into a rant on how stupid and childish that is, the bottom line is that all state offices are closed. State parks are closed, but more importantly the office where I get my drivers license renewed is closed. Not quite sure why since its a county office, but whatever- that's bureaucracy for ya.

So, even though I turn 21 today, I can't do anything until the state either (a) the state issues me papers saying I'm 21, or (b) I get a new license that doesn't have the huge red "UNDER 21" marking on it. Yes, my license has my birthday on it, but apparently no one reads that. Anyways, its not a big deal. I think I mentioned on here already that I can't drink alcohol because of medical stuff, plus I'm always in marathon training. But it would be cool to go to a bar, just because I know I would spit some awesome game about marathon training and my "all I do is run, work, and sleep" syndrome. Girls love to hear that stuff.

Back to running though, Saturday I ran with my club, and promptly fell off the pace and got lost. Well, not totally lost because the run was in my neighborhood but I wasn't listening to the route so I missed a left turn and ended up a good three miles from where I should have been. So that was exciting. I also missed a water stop, which was too bad because it was really hot. The next day I ran 12 for a long run and that really sucked. Thank God its forecasted to get cooler here, because its getting ridiculous, especially because my house isn't air conditioned either.

I'm looking for a summer marathon to do next summer. I've done Grandma's the past two years and while thats a pretty awesome race, I'm looking for something different. Right now, I'm looking at the BMO Vancouver Marathon, the Eugene Marathon, and the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon. Any recommendations? reviews?

1 comment:

  1. Happy B-day! I've done the Flying Pig. It was a few years ago, but from what I remember...

    There are some MONSTER hills, but they are mostly in the first half. By studying the course profile, you will get a better idea of this.

    The race is a really fun one. Everything is pink or has pig stuff on it. It is a well-planned race. Mile markers were spot-on and aide stations were well-manned and stocked.

    They also have some cool swag. It's one of my favorite marathon medals. The year I did it (10 year anniversary), we got an additional duffle bag that was very nice.

    A PR IS possible there, despite the hills. If you train on hills, you will be fine. My first breaking of 3:10 was on that course. It was a fun race b/c that's the men's BQ time, so I was running with a group of super-inspired guys the whole way.

    ReplyDelete