Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On getting old

Lets try this again, eh? I've got probably 5 or 6 posts started that I haven't finished as of yet, so I may or may not get those done but I figured I may as well get this one out. And hey, even if I don't thats okay. I mean, if you hit 1 for 5 for your career you still make it to Cooperstown. I doubt the same principle applies to blogging but lets pretend it does.

Not a lot has gone on in life to tell you the truth. Last week was a bit ridiculous because of committee deadlines and then you had the whole Voter ID thing taken up in the House and then the Senate a couple days later. I actually had to sit through the whole House floor session on Wednesday-- at least I think it was Wednesday, maybe it was Tuesday. Anyways, it started at 5pm and went until 2am, and I took a grand total of two and a half pages of notes throughout. It was a forgone conclusion that it would pass the House (and the Senate, for that matter) although since it was a constitutional amendment it needed 2/3 of the total members in each house. Without laying all my political views on the table, I think Voter ID is a great idea, I really do... in principle. You should have to prove you're a real person and live in this state in order to vote in this state. However, the bill is filled with flaws and could have used way more time in committee. Now, if you're a pessimist, than I guess you'd say the Republicans passed the law as is because passing it without amendments bars more voters who would probably vote Democratic from voting, but I'm not going to go down that road. The two big complaints I heard were "could University students (specifically MNSCU students) use their school IDs to vote in substitute for a State ID?" and people physically having trouble getting to the DMV to get an ID. Both issues went unaddressed. It was funny however how people were complaining that they couldn't drive the 10 miles to the DMV to get an ID but they were willing to drive down from Northern Minnesota to protest the amendment outside my office (which is right next to Senate Chamber). I know they're not the people we're worried about when you talk about having trouble getting from point A to B (we're talking about the mobility impaired and the elderly) but still.

So there's that. I also read a play the other day. Its the first play I've read since Othello in 9th or 10th grade. The play is called Major Barbara by George Bernard Shaw. The play's a great look into our militaristic, cutthroat culture that not many people see, though it was written in 1905. I won't pretend to be cultured, but it was good stuff for what its worth. I also finished reading a book called Warriors of God: Inside Hezbollah's Thirty Year Struggle Against Israel by Nick Blanford. Really, you won't like that book unless you're interested in that region. Even then, the book's incredibly dry at times, but its also really interesting and informative.

If you haven't guessed, I really don't get out much. Yep, this is me, getting old at 21. Stay in school kids, real life is more overrated than you can imagine-- or maybe I'm not doing it right.

Anyways, I've got to run. I should probably go 2 hours today, since Eugene is coming up faster than I would like. Its weird, last week it was 80 and I was running in shorts and no shirt. This week its barely 40 and its shorts and long sleeve T weather. Crazy, man

No comments:

Post a Comment