Monday, January 17, 2011

How to: Run in the winter

**The idea for this post was stolen from Cole over at The Art Of Running. This is kind of an addendum to his post, so check his blog out for more!

Dealing With the Weather
  • If you're planning on doing an out-and- back, make sure you start running against the wind, that way when you come back the wind is at your back, not in your face. I ignored this on my long run on Sunday, and the sweat on my shirt froze so it took like 20 minutes to get my shirt off after I was done
  • Be cold. Make sure you're chilly when you start running, because you're going to heat up quickly. Make sure you wear less on your lower body than your upper body, and use a hat sparingly. Contrary to popular belief, you don't lose most of your heat from your head. Also your hands are slow to warm up
  • Chances are, if there's cold, there's snow and ice. Invest in a pair of trail shoes, preferrably with gore- tex or something of that ilk. Or you could get a pair of yaktrax, although I've never had a pair so I can't comment on them
  • If you're a dude, wear some wind briefs. My rule is sub- 30f and they go on. They get a little toasty at times, but its better than not being able to have kids ever.
Don't get hit
  • If you're running late, or know you may be running when the sun is going down, wear a headlamp. Seriously, this is the best investment I've ever made. Its not uncomfortable, and cars can see you a lot further out than normal reflective strips
  • Count to three after you see the walk light while crossing intersections. Black ice and unplowed streets make stopping distance exponentially longer. I usually like to push it when crossing most intersections (eg. If there's no car coming, I'll cross, no matter what), but I wouldn't think about it in Winter
  • Run on the sidewalk or pedestrian paths. If you have to run in the street or on a bike lane, make sure you're as visible as possible
  • Cary some form of identification in case you do get hit (God forbid). I have a Road ID that's linked to an online database with all my medical info. Even better, carry a cell phone if you can
  • If you're running at night- and this is just a general rule- don't wear headphones. Its safer and more fun because you can sneak up on people

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt,

    Saw your blog post and can't believe you haven't had a chance to try Yaktrax- send us an email if you would like to! Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too, where there are always great contests and giveaways! Great blog :)

    Happy Trails!

    Clara

    ReplyDelete