Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ice, ice baby

Its cold. Every day I've said that, and the next day's colder. Today, I had to do 10 miles because I felt bad about skipping running the past two days. In my defense, I was feeling pretty crappy both days. Yesterday (Wednesday) was by far the worst; I couldn't keep anything down and was rushing to the bathroom every 10 minutes and got no sleep because of it. I still don't feel the greatest, but I'm not in that bad of shape. For instance, today's run I had sloshy stomach throughout the whole thing, and I felt like I was going to puke my guts out for a while, but never actually did throw up, even though I gave myself ample opportunity. I hop you weren't eating when you read that. Anyone want to play doctor and tell me what's up?

Anyways, when I started my run it was 4f, and when I finished it had warmed up to six degrees (not windchill, actual temperature). Supprisingly though, it wasn't that cold- except when I went across the Hennipin bridge- that made me wish I was dead. I wore two layers though-three on my legs. I went wind briefs, thermal tights, and running shorts on my legs, and a Craft Nordic Ski wind blocker long sleeve fitted mockneck, and a softshell jacket over that on my upper body. I was actually kind of toasty. My "beard" froze too, which was pretty legit- had icicles dripping down and all that. I wish I had taken a picture.

Also, this kid in my psychology class who goes to Hamline and runs cross country for them released this mix tape called The Fly Away a few days ago. I'm not a huge fan of rap, but his stuff is pretty good, especially for a debut album. His name is Ellis Cleve and you can download The Fly Away here. Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Second, one of the runners I used to coach at the Courage Center, Krista Pylkki got a really nice article written up in the paper about her. Krista's a Paralympic hopeful in the 400m and currently holds the 400m world record in her disability class. Right now, she's in New Zealand competing in the IPC world championships for team USA. I'll explain how elite level disabled sports work in a later post, but the fact that she can compete at this high level just blows my mind. I had the honor of competing in track and swimming, as well as coach Krista, and you'll never meet a harder worker. Link to story

No comments:

Post a Comment