Sunday, October 25, 2009

October snowstorm

When I was in my Political Thought class on Friday, it started snowing. It wasn't real snow though, it was more or less freezing rain that looked like snow. Nevertheless, it was coming down fairly hard, and I decided to run my workout anyways. I was planning to do a few strides across the baseball and soccer fields for 15 minutes or so, something easy. Of course, the snow was melting and puddling up whenever it hit the ground or whatever, which was not good for me. I grabbed my spikes anyway and headed out. It was pretty cold, but that really didn't bother me. I found that the fields don't drain well at all though. I managed a couple strides, but I had to be careful. Even with my 3/8'' frog killer spikes, I couldn't get any traction. I finished the workout, but my legs, shorts, and back of my singlet were all streaked with mud and grass from my kick. I guess I'm lucky I didn't fall.

So the next day I ran Jack's Run at the U of M golf course. If you were paying attention, you'd know I didn't finish last weekend's race because of my ankle. I had talked to a few people in my dorm who had run Griak in their high school days, and they said how hard the course was. Keeping that in mind, I decided to play it conservative for the first 4k and hammer the last k to the finish. Well, the pre race warm up I ran was pretty difficult, but I was feeling pretty good. I guess this was an official meet for the U of M women, since their whole team was there, which was pretty cool. We had our own start box, which made it feel like a big meet, and it was pretty sizable, especially compared to the 20 people or so that usually show up to our races. I stuck to the plan and hit 4k in 20 minutes. The hills were killing me, but it was mostly downhill from the 4k mark. I tried to pick it up, but I just couldn't. I was wobbling from one side of the finish chute to the other, feeling like I was going to pass out. I didn't, and I finished, but it wasn't pretty. I threw up just after I finished, so I've got to figure out what went wrong. I felt pretty good during the cool down, so who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment