Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday afternoon music sesh

I don't know about you, but I'm not partial to long runs at all. I mean, after 40 or 45 minutes of hard running I'm mentally checked out. So what do I do? I mean, I've sort of backed myself into a corner by my own doing. I've got the Eugene Marathon in 40- something days and just bought some trainers yesterday. Up until now my runs have been sub- 40 minute tempo runs in racing flats. So bottom line for me is that every third run for me will be boring as shit, AKA 11+ miles at a decently slow pace. So I've deemed long run days new music days-- the first of which was today.

So here's my plan to cut the boredom- I'll listen to a brand new album or two every time out. I think I've got enough albums to do it, and I've got Pitchfork and The Current in case I need more stuff. Now, normally I'll listen to more straightedge rock and stuff when I'm running-- Search The City, Rise Against, Blindside-- that kind of stuff. But I mean since I'm going to be going at an "accelerated jogging" pace, I can listen to whatever I want to. Today I listened to Attack! Attack!'s self titled CD (the UK band not the American one) and Polica's CD Give you the Ghost.

I've already seen Polica twice in concert- once at the Kitty Cat and once at First Ave so there's really nothing new there, but its still a killer CD. Its their music is kind of haunting I guess and its pretty slow, but its a nice, melodic slow. They're a little known band from the Minneapolis area, so there's a plus too. Attack! Attack! is a pretty sweet band that I'd never heard of until a week ago, but I'm glad I ran across them. Their music is a lot more up tempo than Polica but its good. I mean its kind of like a "once you've heard one, you've heard them all" alternative band, but you could tell the guys were having fun making it. Its far from mediocre, so worth a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment