Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Brooks I.D. Acceptance Spectacular

I'm sitting at the front desk and the Tornado Sirens went off- that's my excitement for the day. Good thing I work in the basement, right? I wish I could run through a tornado warning. I know what that sounds like, like I'm some stuck up prick or something, but I dunno, I just think it would be cool. Maybe its that teenage invincibility complex or whatever, but I think that would just be really cool.

So, a few days ago, I got an email from the Brooks Sports Marketing guy, Steve DeKoker, asking if I was planning on running at the NCAA level. I never even thought that I might not be eligible because I'm in school. Nonetheless, I told him no, because honestly I don't want to. I have no interest in running 5k's and 10k's. Plus, its the whole Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner thing. I run with somebody else once a week, maybe, but other than that I go alone. I'm fine with that, I guess. I mean, I'd love to run with somebody, but everyone I meet (or most people) are not like me at all. No one's as fanatical as me, except my running group on Tuesdays. No one else knows why I would sacrifice a perfectly good night to toil on the empty roads.

So, I got accepted, when I got the email, it made my day. They give you a 40% discount, which is great, so I know where my second, third, fourth, and fifth paychecks are going. The part that I'm looking forward to the most is the camaraderie. I heard Steve Runner's episode on the Run Net community, and as much as I like listening to podcasts and The Extra Mile and such, but I think there is something to be said about having a community of runners that you have a bond with. I mean to tell you, I looked through the Yahoo group, and these runners know more about the sport than I will ever hope to know. Plus, they deserve it more in my opinion. These guys are more than active in the running community, I'm just some guy who managed to sneak himself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment